Your organization’s ability to survive a disaster or a virus is only as good as your last backup. If you are running regular backups to tape you may feel secure, but in today’s world, you need near zero RPOs and RTOs that may not be possible with tape only. There are also costs and risks associated with handling, shipping and storing tapes. You could look at an HA solution, but that involves day to day management and can be expensive. What you really need is your backup data at a remote location, something between physical tape and full HA. If it can handle both your IBM i and open systems, all the better! Mid-Range can help.
Mid-Range Virtual Tape Library (VTL) is part of our BUaaS and DRaaS offerings. Mid-Range VTL is a monthly service where your backup data is automatically replicated to one of our 2 secure SSAE 18 SOC1 CSAE 3416 and ISAE 34002 certified data centres. The Mid-Range VTL is implemented for a competitive monthly fee which includes:
• Mid-Range VTL appliance – sized for your requirments
• Network Pipe – Replication & storage at the Mid-Range Data Centers
Mid-Range VTL emulates the IBM tape library and tape drives that IBM i systems need to protect their data. By leveraging virtual tape and deduplication, Mid-Range VTL will improve backup / restore operations, enhance RTO/RPOs, meet compliance standards (PIPEDA, GDPR, HIPPA, etc) and lower backup infrastructure costs. Mid-Range VTL supports the leading IBM i backup applications (BRMS, Robot/SAVE, LXI/MMS), native CL commands as well as full system restores through a D-IPL.
Top 10 Reasons to choose Mid-Range VTL for i
FASTER BACKUPS AND RESTORES
• Reduce backups times – typically 20hr backup reduced to less than 1 hr.
• Faster restores.
• Run multiple backups to one drive without negative performance impacts.
LOWER COST BACKUPS AND ARCHIVING
• Lower cost of acquisition.
• Lower capacity expansions and warranty extensions.
• Reduce long term storage and bandwidth costs using deduplication.
• Reduce time spent managing tapes.
MORE COST EFFECTIVE AND EASIER TO MANAGE THAN HA
Set it and forget it. Little to no daily administration for WAN replication.
• Fault tolerant design.
• RAID protection, redundant power supplies and multiple connections means highly available data.
OFF-LINE TAPE ARCHIVING
• Backups to virtual tape library can be offloaded to removable disk and/or tape.
• Connect multiple tape drives and libraries directly to VTL via SAS/FC/iSCSI for offline archiving.
• Unencrypted tapes are not proprietary; restore using a tape drive and regular backup software.
BETTER SCALABILITY AND CONNECTIVITY
• Easily scalable disk backup solutions, add more capacity dynamically when needed.
• Purchase just the capacity needed today, add more disk drives as your data grows.
• Modular design, change the transport protocols as needed.
• Use SCSI, SAS, iSCSI (1GbE and 10GbE) and FC (8G and 16G) simultaneously
• Upgrade to faster versions when available.
RICH IBM i PLATFORM SUPPORT
• Support for most IBM i operating system releases including VIOS
• Seamless integration with all leading IBM i backup applications – including BRMS, ROBOT\Save, LXI MMS and through native IBM i commands and programs
• Keep existing infrastructure in place and simply replace tape with disk.
• Encryption “at rest” and “in flight”.
• Backups stored on disk can be encrypted as well as data can be replicated.
• Offloads to attached tape and/or removable disk drives can also be encrypted.
ELIMINATE PHYSICAL TAPE CHALLENGES
• Eliminate tape or greatly reduce reliance on it by deploying virtual tape libraries.
• Deduplication and replication ensure multiple copies of data in different geographic locations.
• Store months to years’ worth of backups on cost-effective and redundant disk while using less bandwidth.
BACKUP STORAGE CONSOLIDATION
• Consolidate all IBM i and open systems backup and archive on a single system
• Support for AIX, UNIX, LINUX ….
• Increase storage efficiency and minimizes your total cost of ownership and data center footprint.